YMCA Physical Healthy Development (YPHD)
YPHD is a program for children in Primary to Grade 6 designed to increase the physical activity levels of children.
- Before, during, and after school activities
- A healthy alternative for child care
- Quality programming and tools that focus on developing healthy, happy habits
- HIGH FIVE and CATCH curriculum components
- A fun, inclusive, and physical environment
At the Y, we believe that if children learn to be active and are given the opportunity to make healthy food choices at a young age, that they will grow up to live healthy, active lives.
The foundation of our YPHD program is built on the YMCA Healthy Child Development Framework which focuses on the importance of play, relationships and health. By focusing on these key areas, we can improve the overall health and well-being of children in our community.
At the Y, we know that play helps children:
- improve and maintain physical health and well-being
- release stress and build resiliency skills, and
- have fun!
We know that a focus on relationships allows children to:
- build positive connections with peers
- learn how to problem solve,
- develop their ability to express empathy
And, we also know that by focusing on health, children can:
- learn how to make healthy choices
- become more physically active and get their bodies moving
- develop healthy relationships with others, and
- foster a healthy spirit