We completed our Engagement Survey in April 2017, with a series of leader and Staff Focus Groups conducted between June 2017 and January 2018. We identified 4 key focus areas in our engagement surveys and focus groups:
Communication – Mechanisms to support information sharing amongst and throughout our YMCA
- Y Connections Newsletter: Q1 was sent out end of March. Q2 mid June. Q3 (September) and Q4 (December)
- We’re launching a private Staff Facebook Page first week of July. This is a great tool for on-boarding new staff, sharing stories, asking questions about programs, events, and most importantly getting to know each other! Staff are encouraged to participate in the group, but are not required to.
- A Staff Communication Survey incorporated in this newsletter, to determine how Staff want to receive information. What do you want and need to know about, how often, and in what ways?
- Feedback Loop: We want to hear from you!
- Provide suggestions to Amy Rector at firstname.lastname@example.org on how we can make our Y the best place to work!
- Formal Engagement Survey in April 2019
Total Rewards – Represents that total package received in recognition for time, dedication, and hard work for our YMCA!
- We’ve raised the cost of living in April 2018
- Compensation Project: Compensation banding project currently underway with estimated completion end of Dec. 2018. Resulting in a structure to support fairness and internal equity in our compensation as well as strategies to support competitiveness in the external market.
- Staff Appreciation Events – Pong in October 2017; Spring Fling Staff Event on June 7th was unfortunately cancelled due to lack of interest, and a survey was sent out the following day on how to improve for next time.
- Staff Highlights – Recognizing our internal champions who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
- Length of Service Recognition
- Benefits: Incorporation of an Employee Family Assistance Program (EFAP) in May 2018 to support employee whole life health and wellness
Team Building – We have made structural changes within our staffing to support a more aligned operational team with Lorrie Turnbull taking on the Chief Operations Office role earlier this year and the creation and hiring for our new position, Manager of Child & Youth.
- Staff Events & Association Initiatives: Ensuring that staff are aware and are welcomed to participate
- Scotiabank Blue Nose Race and Event Volunteering May 18-21st 2018
- Healthy Kids Day June 2, 2018
- Peace Week coming up in November 2018/Peace Week Breakfast November 22nd.
Development – working with our leaders to help build strong teams. As we continue down this path we will be identifying areas that would further support Learning & Development for the Association as a whole.
- Development Plans incorporated into Work Plans and Performance Appraisal Process (January – March 2018)