The YMCA works in partnership with over 30 schools in the greater Halifax area to assist immigrant children, youth, and their families.
Since 1992, our YMCA has been working in partnership with schools throughout our community to support the settlement of families new to Canada. Our friendly, welcoming YMCA School Settlement Support Staff work on site at elementary, junior and senior high schools to provide practical assistance to immigrant children, youth, and their families.
Each family, every school, and all situations are unique. Our YMCA staff provide individualized support at all School Settlement Program locations to ensure that students and families feel confident, comfortable and most of all, connected to your community.
YMCA School Settlement Services Include:
- An orientation to your new school and community
- Support from YMCA staff serving as your personal liaison assistance between home and school
- Referrals to settlement, language, and employment services
- Becoming connected with local services suited to your needs
- After school programs and various recreational activities
- Help with your school work through YMCA academic counseling, Homework Clubs, and peer tutoring
- Assistance with language translation and interpretation
- Making new friends, and engaging with others at the YMCA multicultural clubs and events
We currently run our School Settlement program at more than 30 school sites across Greater Halifax and Dartmouth.